Monday 2 November 2009

The gauntlet

Have you heard of NaBloPoMo? No, me neither until a few minutes ago. It has its own website and everything, but the gist of it is anyone participating has to blog once a day for all of November. I thought hey, why not. I haven't blogged since April (or even come close, if I'm honest), and need to get started again somehow. So, here goes.

I'm a bit too tired to write up anything like a proper review, but I saw Passion Pit live in Southampton a couple of nights ago and may as well talk about it a bit.

I got into Passion Pit into a big way back in May of this year. Well, I almost did. After picking up the EP and being thoroughly charmed, I bought the album with high hopes. While not a bad record by any stretch of the imagination, Manners just didn't grab me, despite being built from solid and likeable electropop. Maybe it just couldn't stack up with the many other great releases this year (of which I'll get to in about six weeks' time), or maybe Passion Pit have some growing to do before they make a truly great album.

Anyway, I digress. The goodwill built up from Chunk of Change EP (plus the stellar "Little Secrets") was enough to make me and a few friends take the train to see them live at Southampton Uni. In a word, the gig was good. The affable and polite Passion Pit put on an enjoyable show which, in its best moments, had the crowd jumping about and yelling along with wide-eyed admiration. My only real gripe is that singer Michael Angelakos' high-pitched, emotive voice - what turned me onto Passion Pit in the first place - was occasionally indisctinct and too low in the mix, which somewhat dulled the effect of songs such as "I've Got Your Number". Regardless, it was a great set.

Credit where credit is due: The two support acts were also very entertaining. We only caught the last two songs of The Joy Formidable's set, but they seemed enthusiastic and agreeably heavy. Second support act was Max Tundra, and my my, did he impress me. Having known virtually nothing about him before arriving at the gig, I was initially surprised to see an unassuming, friendly man standing behind an array of what looked like toy keyboards. Once the music kicked in though, it was a treat - an irresistible combo of offbeat lyrics, slippery rhythms and skittery percussion. Highly recommended, if you get a chance to see him.

Well, that about does it for now! Back tomorrow? Hopefully.

No comments: