Wednesday 13 August 2008

d-d-d-d-d-d-DJ!

August was really a terrible time to start a music blog. I'm penniless, haven't written anything creative or constructive in weeks, and I'm way out of touch of any live music "scene" (OK, so I only live in Winchester during term-time, not Toronto or anything like that.. but, still, it's been a while since I went to a good local gig). Nevertheless, I shall press on one way or another.

Talking of local gigs reminded me of their similarly inconsistent counterpart - the DJ set. Winchester's hardly club central, but I know a couple of places that throw down a good alternative mix. What's the key to a good DJ set, I hear you ask? Well, I don't really know. I've done a grand total of two sets in my life, and they were small pre-gig affairs, not the thumping night of floorfillers you might have heard at your local Liquid. As a discerning listener (though I still dance like a twat), however, I could easily, talking to the DJ, name some things that make me enjoy a set more.

#1: You don't have to play what everyone knows.
Alright, so a lot of people will gripe when a track they've never heard comes on. Those people need to be more open-minded. Seriously, it's awesome discovering a band like Crystal Castles, Justice, or hell, even The Flaming Lips via a dancefloor. Any music fan loves finding a new band, and there are better places to do it than MySpace.

#2: Throw in a classic every now and again.
Yeah, I know. I come on all preachy about music to dance to and then throw a fat contradiction right in your face. Deal with it!
Anyway, despite what I said about avoiding the standby floorfillers, there isn't anything quite like a.. ahem, blast from the past to get your dancing spirit soaring (didn't mean to sound like a gay dance instructor then). May I suggest "Take On Me"?

#3: Throw a curveball.
I don't mean you should literally start throwing stuff into the crowd, though that would make it a very unique set. What I mean is be inventive! As far as I'm concerned, if you can dance to it and it's a little different to the mainstream (remember, I'm talking about alternative clubs here), throw it in and mix it up, in that order. I can almost guarantee a couple of music geeks in the corner will woop at some of your more left-field track choices. If it's Aphex Twin, that'll be me.

#4: Don't talk. Ever.
Seriously, just play the damn music.

At the end of the day (or, indeed, night) atmosphere is key. You could be listening to the best playlist in the history of music, but it means little if you're stuck in a room with a bunch of arseholes. A good set always helps, though.

I'll be back soon! Will try my best not to do a list next time, but no promises.



Man, did I really say "throw down"?

No comments: